Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Importance of Quality Art Supplies

I. Am. Frustrated.

     I did a really awesome drawing that I was super happy with--a scene from Adventure Time with the genderbent characters Fionna and Cake. I sketched it out in pencil, and inked it with my brand spanking new Pigma Sensei marker set:

I recently bought these from JoAnne's and can honestly say it has totally elevated my drawings, being able to ink them with high quality,non-bleeding markers that come in several incredibly useful sizes.

     Anyhow, here's my drawing freshly inked:

I whole-heartedly own that I'm a novice when it comes to drawing and understand that more experienced people may have pointers as to how I can improve (which is MORE than welcome!), but I'm really happy with this drawing. 

     Both of my sisters draw as well, and Sam has a 12-pack of Prismacolor coloring pencils. I am in love with how smooth they are, so I wanted to use them and color in this drawing. I knew that the basic pack she has did not include any real skin tones, but I have colorless blending pencils and hoped maybe I could make a color that approximated Fionna's skin tone.

     From a few feet away, my blending job looked awesome, but from close enough to take a picture....


There's really only so much you can do with twelve basic colors. Yes, they have soft cores that lend themselves to blending--but let's be real, it's not the level of blending you could achieve with a medium like paint. This has proven to me that I need to invest in a larger set of Prismacolors for my own use, and luckily I met some very nice people at Knightrokon last week who told me of a discount site of magical wonder.

Everybody,I'd like to introduce you to DickBlick . I know, I know, the name sounds sketchy. Hahaha,art pun. It's a discount site for art supplies, where the beautiful,gorgeous, massive set of 150 prismacolor pencils is $126. Which is still a lot of money, but it's a good discount for these lovelies.

And so,the moral of my terribly colored drawing is to not only invest in high quality art materials, but to make sure that if you plan to color your work you have a WIDE VARIETY OF COLORS. 

Keep Creating!

--Kayla

2 comments:

  1. I like it is lovely. Could you do something else with more colors, absolutely. Sometimes though - it is ok to have a limitation regardless of if it is skill or supplies. It just means that the next one will be better because now you're more experienced. Thanks for sharing it!

    Feel free to look at my amateur pencil drawings - gotta start somewhere right?

    http://www.theboredzombie.com/2013/06/retro-projects-pencil-drawings.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the encouragement :). I am 100 percent a pefectionist, so sometimes I get spun up in the idea of it "not being good enough", when sometimes just putting even the effort to make even small improvements is what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete